Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Pride and Prejudice

I’ve never been one of those girls that spends her weekends reading chicklit and watching rom-coms. Honestly, I can’t stand them.  Growing up I saw action movies with my dad, whether I wanted to or not; and my mother didn’t like romantic comedies so I never developed a taste for them.  So over the years I have clung to action/thriller/fantasy/historical books and movies.  

 When I was my English class this year I saw an annotated edition of Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. This copy caught my eye because it explained the context of the novel. I saw it as an opportunity to read a book that’s been on my book list for years and learn a little history.

I ended up thoroughly enjoying the novel. I felt like I WAS Elizabeth Bennett that her struggles and lusts were my own, and by the end of the novel I had fallen head over heels for Mr. Darcy. The book was well written and kept me on my toes. I am now waiting for my Darcy.

You know the old proverb “don’t judge a book by its cover”? It’s true. I thought this was going to be a gushy mushy love story (which it was), but it also gave me an idea of what it would feel like to be middle class woman of that period.

If you haven’t read this book yet you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment